Friday, October 31, 2008

Poppyseed Oil

I gathered all my unfinished jars of medium and combined them. I have been using this mystery mix for all my current paintings. I did leave out the ones with driers or alkyds. I am using  mix of rectified turpentine, linseed oil, a little stand oil, and an indeterminable amount of damar varnish. I am not sure if I need the damar. It speeds the drying and makes the paint surfaces a little tacky. I began adding poppyeed oil to slow the drying. It is a very clear oil and can take up to a month to dry. With the atmospheric conditions in my studio my paintings might not dry until next year. 

I am painting pretty directly for the most part. A little blending when the surfaces allow it. The paint layers are probably borderline transparent. At times the paint is so thin they are like a glaze. I am actually beginning my paintings with this medium rich paint. I just need to make sure that I leave the areas with lighter values pretty clean. If I compose the paintings reasonably well the paintings go pretty smoothly. I began a couple Bouguereau copies with my new slick approach. I also started a Morandi copy which is very exciting.

No comments: