Saturday, November 8, 2008

Reagan

I made this paintings in two sittings with cheap acrylic paint. It was made in a swift and carefree fashion. The colors were not carefully mixed. At times I dipped the brush in different colors and would apply multiple colors with the same brush stroke. For the most part it is wet on wet.

I like this painting. I think it is done. If I were to work on it again it would become a different painting. In some ways I like it better than my latest unfinished Obama and Palin paintings. With those two I have become obsessed with bringing to them a new level of realism or finish. The Palin painting has become really hard-edged with lots of blending and little stippled brush marks. I wonder why is it that different painting begin to develop in different ways. Once the painting falls into it's niche and you refine your approach you can't go back.

I have begun a Vermeer copy. It sits in my studio unfinished. I want to be able to make a painting like that. For better or for worse it is some kind on influence on everything that I am working on. In the very least it has compelled me to make some paintings that have no dry brush or white canvas showing. The paint I am using is rich with medium and takes days to dry. When I am done with this jar of medium I will make another with no damar and those days will turn to weeks.

No comments: